Sunday 5 February 2017

Taking that Fishing Trip with no fear from your Stoma

Even when it is still cold and a bit wintery outside I am thinking of better times.  Now I truly enjoy the winter and all the fun outdoor activities that can be done, but there is something about a fishing trip that flat out makes me happy.  Now that the weather is slowly changing, the time has almost come. In the good old Hoosier state the summer is almost here and that means one major thing.  It means that fishing season has started.  It is now early in the year and the time for fish to bite is right around the corner.  We don’t really get the chance to ice fish in the winter because the lakes generally do not freeze over enough to be safe.  So I prefer to fish when it is a bit warmer anyway.  So is there some kind of trick to doing all of this with an ostomy? Dealing with a stoma in winter I find is a little more difficult than in the warmer weather.  Could just be my body, but I like to fish and not worry about my ostomy.  That is why I think it is beyond important to be wise with your gear choices from ostomy stuff to clothing.



Don't be all doom and gloom either.  Many people think that once you get an ostomy that all fun things come to an end. And honestly I don’t understand how they can even come to this conclusion.  Yes, getting the right gear is important just like getting the right fishing pole.  I like using a good companies for your ostomy supplies is important because the company has tons of options and always answers my questions when I call or email them over.  So if I am going on a trip that is really hot I can send over a question to a major company about what type of material and gear will work best for that situation.  Guess what they answer back.  This company and the customer service have seen it all.  I think it honestly takes a different kind of person to want to work for an ostomy store and they seem to hire people who are actually caring and not trying to sell me something.  I enjoy trying products for free as well.  Many of these big companies will oblige in this and it does create a sense of loyalty from me.




Don't worry about being sold a product.  All companies, doctors, and pharmacists are doing this, but I find in this industry most actually want to help.  If that sales tactic provides loyalty then well its a good sales tactic because it helps me.  So that really covers that area. Having a stoma is not a big deal for fishing.  Fish don’t smell you coming although they do have amazing sense of smell when it comes to luers. So I do suggest taking a hand sanitizer that is scentless. So if you are whipping moss off the luer and want to take a drink and be sanctuary you don’t end up messing you health or fishing game up!  It is bass time so I am off to put some new string on my real and grab some worms on the way to the pond.  Stay safe, plan your gear, and fish on! 



No comments:

Post a Comment